Tune In To Your Kids
Is your teen sporting a set of headphones, watching videos on their tablet, or listening to music on their phone? Teens use their gadgets to connect with each other and keep up with popular culture. So just about the time your kid is tuning you out, you need to be more aware to what is filling their heads.
Did you know that popular artists including Rihanna, Miley Cyrus, Nicki Minaj and Kanye West have all referred to the drug “Molly” in their songs? “Molly” is basically the same as the Ecstasy of the '90s but rebranded as a purer, gentler party drug. Additionally, and not particularly surprising, a recent study of hit recordings finds nearly a quarter of them mention brand name alcohol.
Consider these strategies to tune in to your kids:
- Review the history on your teen’s electronics
- Put on their headphones and actually listen to the music
- If you don’t know what it means, go to www.lyrics.com and pull up the full text
- Check out www.urbandictionary.com for slang words you don’t know
- Talk to your kids regularly about what they hear, and your expectations for their choices