Who We Are
The Union County Drug Free Coalition is a community coalition dedicated to positively changing substance use among youth and adults over time. The Coalition formed in 2009 after the growing concern of opiate prescription drug abuse and heroin use in Union County. A diverse group of community leaders, students and parents began efforts to raise awareness and support education regarding youth substance use. Since then, additional data collection, training and a rich community assessment has allowed the group to target efforts to address underage drinking, marijuana, and prescription drug abuse among youth. The Coalition remains dedicated to reducing the risks associated with substance abuse through evidence-based environmental strategies that address community level change.
The Union County Drug Free Coalition’s mission is to develop and maintain a coordinated substance abuse prevention effort for the citizens of Union County, particularly the youth of this community.
The Coalition seeks to reduce the risk and harm that occurs with substance abuse and to promote healthy, safe and drug-free lifestyles among youth and families in our community.
We attempt to accomplish this by:
- Creating a community wide effort that includes parents, schools, law enforcement, students, the media, the business community, sports programs, social service organizations, and the faith-based community.
- Fostering coordinated and committed community collaboration in prevention planning, action, and evaluation.
- Coordinating and planning projects and initiatives that promote positive, healthy, safe and drug-free lifestyles for youth and families.
- Overcoming the perception that “everyone is taking drugs” by encouraging the utilization of peer leaders, student role models, and drug free youth groups to influence and educate others.
- Diminishing the perception that substance abuse is not a problem in Union County.
Our Officers and Advisory Board Members
The Union County Drug Free Coalition is structured to assure the inclusion of diverse community participation and to meet compliance with federal funding.
The Advisory Board members are selected to represent a minimum of 12 community sectors and staff members. Each partner brings a different point of view as well as skills and resources that enhance the common goals of the Coalition.
Our Funding and Resources
The Union County Drug Free Coalition has been fortunate to receive funding from the Cardinal Health Foundation, the Impact 60 Foundation, Honda Marysville, the City of Marysville, the Union County Commissioners and many other organizations who support the Coalition through in-kind gifts and volunteer hours. In 2014 Coalition received a, 5-year, Drug Free Communities Support Grant (Office of National Drug Control Policy and the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration).
If you would like to receive information from the Coalition, serve on the Advisory Board or one of the on-going committees, please let us know!
Send correspondence to:
Holly Zweizig – Coalition Coordinator
The Union County Drug Free Coalition website was developed in part under a Drug Free Communities Program grant from the Office of National Drug Control Policy and Substance Abuse Mental Health Administration, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The views, policies, and opinions expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of ONDCP, SAMHSA or HHS.